What is the best type of yoga mat?

It would be good if you could go try out a few mats before committing to buying your own. Mats come in different lengths, thicknesses and materials. If you're tall (5'9'' and over) you might consider an extra long mat so you don't find youself moving back and forth during the practice in order to stay on the mat.

Rubber mats are heavier and more expensive than the mats you'll find in your sporting goods store, but they provide exceptional grip, cushioning and will last for a very long time when treated properly. Also, they don't need to be "broken in" like other new mats that may initially not be as sticky.

You don't want to get a very thick, cushy mat, as you won't feel very stable during your standing poses or balances. I usually recommend standard thickness. If you find you need additional cushioning for your knees, you can always fold the side of the mat inward, so you can kneel on the doubled-up mat.

A rubberized, non-slip or sticky yoga mat is the most beneficial, safe, and has become the most commonly used. You can rent one at most yoga studios. You will need to make a decision about the exact yoga mat that is best based on your individual needs during practice. For example, considering the thickness often is important for someone with sensitive knees.

Continue Learning about Yoga

Try Yoga to Lose Weight, Reduce Stress, and Fight Fibromyalgia
If you're not one of the 16 million Americans who have discovered that the corpse pose actually restores life and the sun salutation makes you cheery ...
Why does my standing leg hurt when I'm doing the warrior 3 yoga pose?
You should never feel pain when performing any exercise. If you continue to feel pain, you should di...
8 Yoga Poses for a Stronger Core
8 Yoga Poses for a Stronger Core8 Yoga Poses for a Stronger Core8 Yoga Poses for a Stronger Core8 Yoga Poses for a Stronger Core
Relieve Lower Back Pain With Yoga
Relieve Lower Back Pain With Yoga