Can hot yoga help me detoxify my body?

Hot yoga increases your body's temperature and causes your body to sweat. Sweating is your body’s protective mechanism to regulate your temperature and reduce the risk of heat illness. Some believe hot temperatures help your body detoxify, however, this is not the case. Your liver and kidneys are primarily responsible for filtering toxins in your body.

Some people believe that practicing in a heated room will help them to sweat out all their toxins. But it’s a common misperception that we detoxify through sweating in hot rooms. In humans, sweating is primarily a means of thermoregulation. Trace amount of toxins are excreted through perspiration. Sweating is actually our body’s method of cooling down our system.

Continue Learning about Yoga

How Yoga Can Improve Your Mood
How Yoga Can Improve Your Mood
In the 1978 movie Animal House, “Toga! Toga! Toga!” was Bluto’s call for their fraternity to throw a party. The goal? To help a younger frat member, F...
What is a yoga strap?
Yoga historically refers to the physical and spiritual practices fundamental to Buddhists, Jainism a...
Yoga Poses in 12 Easy Steps
Yoga Poses in 12 Easy StepsYoga Poses in 12 Easy StepsYoga Poses in 12 Easy StepsYoga Poses in 12 Easy Steps
Learn the correct moves for doing a simple Sun Salutation.
Relieve Lower Back Pain With Yoga
Relieve Lower Back Pain With Yoga