Can hot yoga help me detoxify my body?

Hot yoga increases your body's temperature and causes your body to sweat. Sweating is your body’s protective mechanism to regulate your temperature and reduce the risk of heat illness. Some believe hot temperatures help your body detoxify, however, this is not the case. Your liver and kidneys are primarily responsible for filtering toxins in your body.

Some people believe that practicing in a heated room will help them to sweat out all their toxins. But it’s a common misperception that we detoxify through sweating in hot rooms. In humans, sweating is primarily a means of thermoregulation. Trace amount of toxins are excreted through perspiration. Sweating is actually our body’s method of cooling down our system.

Continue Learning about Yoga

Hot Yoga: Healing or Hazardous?
Hot Yoga: Healing or Hazardous?
Summer might be wrapping up, but where I live, the heat is still in full force. So it's hard to imagine choosing to spend my yoga class in a hot oven ...
How do I perform the locust pose in yoga?
Dawn MarcusDawn Marcus
The locust pose in yoga is a gentle backbend that also stretches out the front of the body. Sta...
8 Yoga Poses for Strong, Sexy Legs
8 Yoga Poses for Strong, Sexy Legs8 Yoga Poses for Strong, Sexy Legs8 Yoga Poses for Strong, Sexy Legs8 Yoga Poses for Strong, Sexy Legs
Firm flabby thighs and get the toned legs you've always wanted with this simple yoga routine.
What Yoga Poses Can Help Me with My Balance?