Can anyone do yoga?

Almost anyone can do yoga. If you have a medical condition for which you are receiving treatment, such as arthritis, multiple sclerosis, fibromyalgia or other serious medical condition, talk to your healthcare professional first. Many places offer special classes designed just for people with these conditions.

Even if you don't need a specialized class, you need to be aware of certain warnings before starting a class. For instance, high blood pressure, glaucoma or a history of retinal detachment or heart disease may mean that you should not perform certain exercises or positions (such as the ones that turn you upside down, like a handstand). Again, talk to your healthcare professional first.

Continue Learning about Yoga

Finding the Right Yoga for You
Finding the Right Yoga for You
Whether your goal is to find a little inner peace, develop one of those highly sought-after "yoga butts" or simply get more flexible, there's a perfec...
Why is yoga considered a very good form of exercise?
Medical experts aren't exactly sure why yoga offers the high number of health benefits that it does....
8 Yoga Poses for a Stronger Core
8 Yoga Poses for a Stronger Core8 Yoga Poses for a Stronger Core8 Yoga Poses for a Stronger Core8 Yoga Poses for a Stronger Core
Is There a Problem with the Downward Dog Position in Yoga That I Should Watch Out for?