What is thrush?

Thrush is a yeast infection of the tongue and mouth, which is common in infants. It can have a cottage cheese type of appearance, looking white and sometimes may show a lacy pattern. It only really needs treatment if it is affecting the baby's ability to feed.
Thrush is a yeast infection in the mouth or esophagus. It's caused by overgrowth of a fungus, called Candida. People with weak immune systems, such as those with HIV or diabetes, have a higher risk of getting thrush. Symptoms include white patches in the mouth and on the tongue, easy bleeding, and pain and soreness in the mouth or when swallowing. If thrush is mild, eating yogurt or taking non-prescription acidophilus pills may be enough to kill the yeast. People with more severe cases are usually treated with antifungal mouthwashes, lozenges or medications.

Continue Learning about Yeast Infections

Eliminate That Embarrassing Itch
Eliminate That Embarrassing Itch
Some itches are just too embarrassing to scratch. But if you've ever been, or currently are, bothered by an irritating itch "down there," you know how...
How can I tell a yeast infection from a sexually transmitted disease (STD)?
Sometimes it can be difficult to tell the difference between a yeast infection and a sexually transm...
How do I know if I have yeast/fungal overgrowth?
Elizabeth Boham, MD, MS, RDElizabeth Boham, MD, MS, RD
If you have yeast or fungal overgrowth, symptoms include fatigue, recurring yeast infections or fung...
What Are the Main Causes of Yeast Overgrowth in the Body?