What are the treatment options for a chronic yeast infection?

A simple yeast infection can usually be treated with an over the counter antifungal cream such as miconazole or clotrimazole. However, a chronic yeast infection requires more aggressive treatment. Your doctor will probably prescribe an oral antifungal such as fluconazole (Diflucan) and will have you take one or more doses if you are not pregnant. You might be put on a regimen of vaginal antifungal cream or suppositories for up to two weeks. Lastly, you might have to follow a continuing schedule of antifungal pills to prevent reoccurrence of the infection.

Continue Learning about Yeast Infections

Eliminate That Embarrassing Itch
Eliminate That Embarrassing Itch
Some itches are just too embarrassing to scratch. But if you've ever been, or currently are, bothered by an irritating itch "down there," you know how...
Should I talk to my doctor about my chronic yeast infection?
You should definitely talk to your doctor about your chronic yeast infection. If you are having recu...
How do I treat yeast overgrowth in the intestines?
Amy E. Myers, MDAmy E. Myers, MD
Yeast overgrowth is treated by changing your diet, taking herbal supplements, and also with prescrip...
How Does Sugar Consumption Relate to Yeast Overgrowth?