What is a left ventriculogram?

A left ventriculogram is a coronary catheterization procedure in which a thin tube (called a catheter) is threaded through an artery up toward your heart. An x-ray contrast solution is injected through the catheter so that an X-ray can capture images of the blood flow.

A left ventriculogram is like an angiogram (an x-ray used to assess narrowing or blockages in your coronary arteries), but the x-ray contrast is injected into the left ventricle, instead of into the coronary arteries. This shows blood flow through and out of the left ventricle. A ventriculogram can measure your ejection fraction (EF), which is the amount, or percentage, of blood the heart pumps out with each beat. The EF is an important measure of how well your heart does its job and is often used to evaluate heart function in patients who have heart failure.

Continue Learning about X-Ray Imaging

When is an x-ray necessary?
Dr. Nancy Calsolaro SmulskyDr. Nancy Calsolaro Smulsky
X-rays are used to confirm and assist healthcare practitioners to make a diagnosis and to inform car...
Could I be allergic to X-ray dye?
SCAISCAI
Some procedures for diagnosis and treatment of cardiovascular disease use contrast dye. Angiograms a...
What is computed tomographic colonography?
CT colonography is a method to examine the inside of the colon by reconstructing 3D images produced ...
What should I ask my doctor about angiograms?
SecondsCount.orgSecondsCount.org
The following questions can help you talk to your physician about having an angiogram. Print out or ...