What is a coronary angiogram?

Coronary angiograms are x-rays used to assess narrowing or blockages in your coronary arteries. A thin tube called a catheter is threaded through an artery up toward your heart, and an x-ray contrast solution is injected through the catheter and into the coronary arteries. X-rays then capture images of blood flow through the arteries. Angiograms can also be used to measure blockage in:
  • Carotid arteries, leading to the brain
  • Renal arteries, leading to the kidneys
  • Peripheral arteries, leading to the arms or legs

Continue Learning about X-Ray Imaging

What is an abdominal x-ray?
An abdominal x-ray is an x-ray of the organs inside the abdomen. An x-ray is a type of radiation tha...
When is an x-ray necessary?
Dr. Nancy Calsolaro SmulskyDr. Nancy Calsolaro Smulsky
X-rays are used to confirm and assist healthcare practitioners to make a diagnosis and to inform car...
When do I need a chest x-ray?
Brigham and Women's HospitalBrigham and Women's Hospital
Chest x-rays may be used to assess heart status (either directly or indirectly) by looking at the he...
Why might my baby need an X-ray in the NICU?
Intermountain Registered DietitiansIntermountain Registered Dietitians
An x-ray is the most common type of imaging scan. An x-ray can show the condition of the lungs a...