What supplements can help women with thinning hair?

Jame K. Heskett, MD
Family Medicine
My 4 favorite supplements for thinning hair is as follows: 
1) Klammath blue green algae - A perfect blend of micronutrients and amino acids that support the health of all tissues in the body and especially the hair and skin and nails. The micronutrients are important because we have less and less of them available in our diet as we get older.
2) Resveratrol - A potent anti-aging supplement that diminshes the free radicals that make us age faster. If your blood vessels age more quickly, then they are less able to get nutrients and oxygen to the hair follicle to help it remain healthy and active.
3) CoEnzyme Q10 -  This supplement also supports blood vessels. Since a great portion of female hair loss is from diminshed circulation to the hair follicle--if you cant get oxygen and nutrients to the hair follicle, how can it grow?--upkeep the circulation and your hair has more capacity to grow.
4) Biotin - Old-school support for hair and nail growth.
I have also found that inverted yoga poses on a daily basis can increase blood flow to the scalp, thus nutrients and oxygen also help with increased hair growth.
Dr. Robin Miller, MD
The most common reason for hair loss in older women is an imbalance of testosterone, but there are many over-the-counter options that may help. In this video, Robin Miller, MD, talks about the different products available.

Continue Learning about Women's Health

Walk Each Day to Lower Breast Cancer Risk
Nearly 300,000 women are diagnosed with breast cancer for the first time every year. But it turns out that something as simple as walking could help k...
Why do women talk more than men?
Mia LundinMia Lundin
The female hormone estrogen heightens the production of oxytocin, which enhances relaxation, reduces...
13 Embarrassing Vagina Questions You’re Too Afraid to Ask
13 Embarrassing Vagina Questions You’re Too Afraid to Ask13 Embarrassing Vagina Questions You’re Too Afraid to Ask13 Embarrassing Vagina Questions You’re Too Afraid to Ask13 Embarrassing Vagina Questions You’re Too Afraid to Ask
Yes, you can get pregnant on your period.
Can a Hysterectomy Hurt My Sex Life?
Can a Hysterectomy Hurt My Sex Life?