What supplements can help women with thinning hair?

Jame K. Heskett, MD
Family Medicine
My 4 favorite supplements for thinning hair is as follows: 
1) Klammath blue green algae - A perfect blend of micronutrients and amino acids that support the health of all tissues in the body and especially the hair and skin and nails. The micronutrients are important because we have less and less of them available in our diet as we get older.
2) Resveratrol - A potent anti-aging supplement that diminshes the free radicals that make us age faster. If your blood vessels age more quickly, then they are less able to get nutrients and oxygen to the hair follicle to help it remain healthy and active.
3) CoEnzyme Q10 -  This supplement also supports blood vessels. Since a great portion of female hair loss is from diminshed circulation to the hair follicle--if you cant get oxygen and nutrients to the hair follicle, how can it grow?--upkeep the circulation and your hair has more capacity to grow.
4) Biotin - Old-school support for hair and nail growth.
I have also found that inverted yoga poses on a daily basis can increase blood flow to the scalp, thus nutrients and oxygen also help with increased hair growth.
Dr. Robin Miller, MD
The most common reason for hair loss in older women is an imbalance of testosterone, but there are many over-the-counter options that may help. In this video, Robin Miller, MD, talks about the different products available.

Continue Learning about Women's Health

Does Deodorant Cause Breast Cancer?
Does Deodorant Cause Breast Cancer?
Have you heard the rumor that deodorants and antiperspirants cause breast cancer? More importantly -- is it true? An alarming message about deodorant...
What is vulvovaginal atrophy?
Boston Women's Health Book CollectiveBoston Women's Health Book Collective
When estrogen levels remain low, less moisture comes through the vaginal wall to provide lubrication...
6 Down-There Symptoms Women Shouldn't Ignore
6 Down-There Symptoms Women Shouldn't Ignore6 Down-There Symptoms Women Shouldn't Ignore6 Down-There Symptoms Women Shouldn't Ignore6 Down-There Symptoms Women Shouldn't Ignore
While some vaginal aches and pains are totally normal, others need medical attention. Here’s how to tell the difference.
How Can I Skip an Inconvenient Period?
How Can I Skip an Inconvenient Period?