What causes ovulation?

Patricia Geraghty, NP
Women's Health

Follicle stimulating hormone (FSH) from the pituitary initially stimulates several ovarian follicles to begin development. Follicle growth is accompanied by increased estrogen. The increased estrogen in turn stimulates increased FSH receptors. Thus the follicle with a slight advantage in estrogen becomes the dominant follicle and, in turn, produces more estrogen. When the estrogen level peaks during the follicular phase, this stimulates the pituitary to release luteinizing hormone (LH). The LH causes ovulation of the dominant follicle.

Cardiologist (Heart Specialist)

Ovulation occurs in response to two hormones—luteinizing hormone (LH) and follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH).  Watch the animation to learn more about ovulation.

Though the process is quite intricate, ovulation occurs when the body's hormones trigger the ovaries to release an egg for fertilization.

Continue Learning about Women's Health

Worst Case Scenario . . . I Left My Tampon In Too Long
When you’re having a busy day, changing your tampon can be the last thing on your mind. Waiting too long to change it, however, can lead to serious he...
What is the connection between hormonal changes and anxiety in women?
There is absolutely a connection between hormonal changes and anxiety and other psychiatric symptoms...
6 Down-There Symptoms Women Shouldn't Ignore
6 Down-There Symptoms Women Shouldn't Ignore6 Down-There Symptoms Women Shouldn't Ignore6 Down-There Symptoms Women Shouldn't Ignore6 Down-There Symptoms Women Shouldn't Ignore
While some vaginal aches and pains are totally normal, others need medical attention. Here’s how to tell the difference.
What's the Best Way to Clean Off Makeup at the End of the Day?