Should I wear my bra when I sleep?

Cardiologist (Heart Specialist)

It is often thought that sleeping in a bra will decrease breast sagging. In this video, Dr. Oz gives a better solution than wearing a bra at night.

Dr. Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgeon

I strongly believe that all women should wear a bra to sleep. The effects of gravity will occur even during the evening when lying down on the bed. I instruct all of my breast enhancement patients to wear a compressive and comfortable brassiere to counter the effects of gravity. I created the Dr. Linderbra as a post-operative, pregnancy and sleep bra to maintain the position of the breast during periods of edema, hormonal enlargement and gravitational descent during sleep. 

Dr. Jame K. Heskett, MD

Because of the restrictive nature of a bra, and the way it compresses the small blood vessels in the skin around the breasts, I would not wear one to bed. Since you are not undergoing any activity in bed (well, except the obvious) that would require support, there really is no need for the support for the entire night of sleep, and letting the blood flow more freely, and lymph drain without the compression of the bra is really the best for your overall health. If you feel like you want some support, you can try a looser-fitting shelf bralet or tank top as a middle ground.

Continue Learning about Women's Health

A Super Food to Prevent PMS
A Super Food to Prevent PMS
Are you among the 85 percent of menstruating women who get premenstrual syndrome (PMS)? Then here's some good news: You can fight back with spinach. ...
How will a mammogram feel?
Dr. Robin Miller, MDDr. Robin Miller, MD
As someone who has had many mammograms, I feel qualified to discuss how it feels. In some ways it de...
4 Simple DIY Health Checks Every Woman Should Know
4 Simple DIY Health Checks Every Woman Should Know4 Simple DIY Health Checks Every Woman Should Know4 Simple DIY Health Checks Every Woman Should Know4 Simple DIY Health Checks Every Woman Should Know
Incredibly easy self-exams for health conscious ladies on-the-go.
Does Diet Affect the Risk of Fibroids?
Does Diet Affect the Risk of Fibroids?