Should I wear my bra when I sleep?

Dr. Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgeon

I strongly believe that all women should wear a bra to sleep. The effects of gravity will occur even during the evening when lying down on the bed. I instruct all of my breast enhancement patients to wear a compressive and comfortable brassiere to counter the effects of gravity. I created the Dr. Linderbra as a post-operative, pregnancy and sleep bra to maintain the position of the breast during periods of edema, hormonal enlargement and gravitational descent during sleep. 

Cardiologist (Heart Specialist)

It is often thought that sleeping in a bra will decrease breast sagging. In this video, Dr. Oz gives a better solution than wearing a bra at night.

Dr. Jame K. Heskett, MD

Because of the restrictive nature of a bra, and the way it compresses the small blood vessels in the skin around the breasts, I would not wear one to bed. Since you are not undergoing any activity in bed (well, except the obvious) that would require support, there really is no need for the support for the entire night of sleep, and letting the blood flow more freely, and lymph drain without the compression of the bra is really the best for your overall health. If you feel like you want some support, you can try a looser-fitting shelf bralet or tank top as a middle ground.

Continue Learning about Women's Health

When Brazilians Backfire and Other Close Shave Hazards
Cameron Diaz caused a ruckus a while back when she wrote in The Body Book that women should avoid irreversible beauty trends like lasering off their p...
How often does a healthy young woman need a check-up?
There are varying recommendations. The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists recommend...
6 Surprising Facts About Your Breasts
6 Surprising Facts About Your Breasts6 Surprising Facts About Your Breasts6 Surprising Facts About Your Breasts6 Surprising Facts About Your Breasts
Your breasts are pretty remarkable—you may not know everything they can do.
Will I Need to Have a Hysterectomy If I Have Fibroids?