Should I wear my bra when I sleep?

Jame K. Heskett, MD
Family Medicine
Because of the restrictive nature of a bra, and the way it compresses the small blood vessels in the skin around the breasts, I would not wear one to bed. Since you are not undergoing any activity in bed (well, except the obvious) that would require support, there really is no need for the support for the entire night of sleep, and letting the blood flow more freely, and lymph drain without the compression of the bra is really the best for your overall health. If you feel like you want some support, you can try a looser-fitting shelf bralet or tank top as a middle ground. 
Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgery

I strongly believe that all women SHOULD wear a bra to sleep. The effects of gravity will occur even during the evening when lying down on the bed. I instruct all of my breast enhancement patients to wear a compressive and comfortable brassiere to counter the effects of gravity. I created the Dr. Linderbra as a post-operative, pregnancy, and sleep bra to maintain the position of the breast during periods of edema, hormonal enlargement, and gravitational descent during sleep. 

It is often thought that sleeping in a bra will decrease breast sagging. In this video, Dr. Oz gives a better solution than wearing a bra at night.

Continue Learning about Women's Health

Women's Health

Women's Health

Did you know that women are more likely to seek medical care than men? Sexual health needs, like pregnancy and contraception, often necessitate early visits to a doctor. But as we age, various health issues affect women more than ...

men, including depression, weight problems, and certain types of arthritis.In order to maintain your health and wellness, make sure you get an annual checkup.