Question

Women's Health

Should I wear my bra when I sleep?

• A Stuart Linder, MD, Plastic Surgery, answered

I strongly believe that all women SHOULD wear a bra to sleep. The effects of gravity will occur even during the evening when lying down on the bed. I instruct all of my breast enhancement patients to wear a compressive and comfortable brassiere to counter the effects of gravity. I created the Dr. Linderbra as a post-operative, pregnancy, and sleep bra to maintain the position of the breast during periods of edema, hormonal enlargement, and gravitational descent during sleep. 

Helpful? 2 people found this helpful.
  • A Jame Heskett, MD, Family Medicine, answered
    Because of the restrictive nature of a bra, and the way it compresses the small blood vessels in the skin around the breasts, I would not wear one to bed. Since you are not undergoing any activity in bed (well, except the obvious) that would require support, there really is no need for the support for the entire night of sleep, and letting the blood flow more freely, and lymph drain without the compression of the bra is really the best for your overall health. If you feel like you want some support, you can try a looser-fitting shelf bralet or tank top as a middle ground. 
    Helpful? 2 people found this helpful.
  • A Mehmet Oz, MD, Cardiology (Cardiovascular Disease), answered
    sleeping in a bra

It is often thought that sleeping in a bra will decrease breast sagging. In this video, Dr. Oz gives a better solution than wearing a bra at night.

Helpful? 2 people found this helpful.
Is nipple retraction in women normal?