How is female sexual arousal disorder diagnosed?

Jan L. Shifren, MD
Reproductive Endocrinology
Your healthcare provider will first want to hear your account of any problems you have becoming aroused and achieving and maintaining vaginal lubrication in response to sexual excitement. He or she may ask detailed questions about your general physical and emotional health, the stresses in your life, your relationship with your partner, your expectations about sex based on your upbringing, the amount of foreplay and direct stimulation you receive during lovemaking, and the medications you're taking. It's particularly important to consider whether you've gone through menopause, as the drop in estrogen that occurs at menopause causes vaginal tissue to thin and decreases vaginal secretions, often causing dryness and discomfort. It's likely that your healthcare provider will also perform a pelvic exam.

Continue Learning about Women's Health

Should You Have an Annual Pelvic Exam?
Should You Have an Annual Pelvic Exam?
Currently, OBGYNs do annual pelvic exams to look for cancers, infections or other conditions. The exam could help detect problems that may not present...
Read More
How can I determine the best days to try to get pregnant?
Sky Ridge Medical CenterSky Ridge Medical Center
For a typical 28 to 30 day cycle (meaning from the first day of a period to the first day of the fol...
More Answers
6 Down-There Symptoms Women Shouldn't Ignore
6 Down-There Symptoms Women Shouldn't Ignore6 Down-There Symptoms Women Shouldn't Ignore6 Down-There Symptoms Women Shouldn't Ignore6 Down-There Symptoms Women Shouldn't Ignore
While some vaginal aches and pains are totally normal, others need medical attention. Here’s how to tell the difference.
Start Slideshow
What Causes Vaginal Dryness?
What Causes Vaginal Dryness?

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.