Why do I need to have my wisdom teeth removed?

Wisdom teeth that are healthy and properly positioned can be an asset. Commonly, however, wisdom teeth are misaligned or erupt only partially, or not at all. They remain trapped beneath the gum and bone or crowded by other teeth. Wisdom teeth may tilt sideways and cause damage to teeth next to them.

Regular dental checkups are important to allow your dentist to track the progress and condition of your teeth. After examining your mouth and taking x-rays, your dentist can evaluate your wisdom teeth and discuss whether or not they should be removed.

Continue Learning about Wisdom Teeth

Why did human beings have wisdom teeth in the first place?
Human beings evolved to have wisdom teeth to help them keep chewing raw foods well into adulthoo...
What can x-rays of my wisdom teeth show?
Your dentist or oral surgeon may order X-rays of your wisdom teeth to identify the relationship bet...
Who makes the decision whether wisdom teeth should be extracted?
Dr. Supriya VermaDr. Supriya Verma
A Dentist or Oral Surgeon can help you understand the pros and cons of taking out your wisdom teeth....
Why are the third molars called wisdom teeth?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
The majority of people have most of their permanent teeth by age 13, followed by the wisdom teeth, w...