Why do I need to have my wisdom teeth removed?

Wisdom teeth that are healthy and properly positioned can be an asset. Commonly, however, wisdom teeth are misaligned or erupt only partially, or not at all. They remain trapped beneath the gum and bone or crowded by other teeth. Wisdom teeth may tilt sideways and cause damage to teeth next to them.

Regular dental checkups are important to allow your dentist to track the progress and condition of your teeth. After examining your mouth and taking x-rays, your dentist can evaluate your wisdom teeth and discuss whether or not they should be removed.

Continue Learning about Wisdom Teeth

Where did wisdom teeth get their name?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Wisdom teeth were named for the time they make their appearance in the mouth, which typically is bet...
How do evolution opponents explain our lessening reliance on wisdom teeth?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Opponents of evolution discount the role of evolving jaws and brains and instead place greater empha...
What happens after a wisdom tooth is removed?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Following wisdom tooth surgery, you may experience: Swelling and discomfort, which is part of th...
What are the pros and cons of extracting all of my wisdom teeth?
If you have all of your wisdom teeth extracted, you can avoid potential problems with them in the fu...