What are the symptoms of a wisdom tooth problem?

Every patient is unique, but in general, wisdom teeth may need to be removed when there is evidence of changes in the mouth such as:
  • pain
  • infection
  • cysts
  • tumors
  • damage to adjacent teeth
  • gum disease
  • tooth decay (if it is not possible or desirable to restore the tooth)

Your dentist or specialist may also recommend removal to prevent problems or for others reasons, such as when removal is part of an orthodontic, restorative or periodontal treatment plan.

Continue Learning about Wisdom Teeth

Should I be concerned about the nerves around my wisdom tooth?
Jerry P. Gordon, DMDJerry P. Gordon, DMD
The location of the inferior alveolar nerve in the lower jaw is of concern when contemplating the re...
If I keep my wisdom teeth, am I more likely to have dental problems later?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Wisdom teeth that are not removed should continue to be monitored, because the potential for develop...
Does everyone have wisdom teeth?
Most people have wisdom teeth, but not all people's wisdom teeth come into the mouth. In some cases...
How do evolution opponents explain our lessening reliance on wisdom teeth?
Experts who are skeptical of evolution usually attribute our lessening reliance on wisdom teeth ...