How do I know if I have wisdom teeth?

Individuals with wisdom teeth will have 32 teeth. The wisdom teeth or third molars will be the very back teeth on the top and bottom left and right. Sometimes, the third molars do not erupt, and the teeth stay in the jawbone where you cannot see them. Your dentist can take x-rays to determine if you have third molars if they are not visible. 

Most adults have their wisdom teeth (called third molars), or they have had them removed. If you are over 21 years old and have not noticed these big molars in the back of your gums, it may be because your wisdom teeth are impacted or stuck under the gums. Ask your dentist to check your wisdom teeth and determine if they have erupted, or broken through the surface of the gums. An X-ray of the teeth will show if they are impacted. Your dentist can recommend further treatment if your wisdom teeth need to be removed.

Continue Learning about Wisdom Teeth

What happens before a wisdom tooth is removed?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Before wisdom tooth surgery: Your dentist will explain what to expect and help you plan for the ...
How will I know if my wisdom teeth have become impacted?
As part of a dental visit, your dentist will examine you to determine if your wisdom teeth are healt...
Why do I need to have my wisdom teeth removed?
Wisdom teeth that are healthy and properly positioned can be an asset. Commonly, however, wisdom...
Who makes the decision whether wisdom teeth should be extracted?
Dr. Supriya VermaDr. Supriya Verma
A Dentist or Oral Surgeon can help you understand the pros and cons of taking out your wisdom teeth....