How is a wisdom tooth problem treated?

The most common treatment for wisdom teeth is removal. Your dentist or specialist may recommend removal to prevent problems or for others reasons, such as when removal is part of an orthodontic, restorative or periodontal treatment plan.

Every patient is unique, but in general, wisdom teeth may need to be removed when there is evidence of changes in the mouth such as:
  • pain
  • infection
  • cysts
  • tumors
  • damage to adjacent teeth
  • gum disease
  • tooth decay (if it is not possible or desirable to restore the tooth)
Wisdom teeth that are not removed should continue to be monitored, because the potential for developing problems later on still exists. 

Continue Learning about Wisdom Teeth

What factors should I discuss with my dentist about my wisdom teeth?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
As part of a dental visit, your dentist will examine you to determine if your wisdom teeth are healt...
Does everyone eventually grow wisdom teeth?
Angela CanfieldAngela Canfield
No everyone does not have wisdom teeth. Some people we have just two and not four. It really varies ...
Why did human beings have wisdom teeth in the first place?
Human beings evolved to have wisdom teeth to help them keep chewing raw foods well into adulthoo...
What is an impacted wisdom tooth?
An impacted wisdom tooth cannot break through the surface of the gums due to a number of restriction...