How do evolution opponents explain our lessening reliance on wisdom teeth?

Experts who are skeptical of evolution usually attribute our lessening reliance on wisdom teeth to modern man's rapid change in diet. Early on, our diet consisted of plenty of raw and hard foods that required a great deal of chewing and more teeth. Toward the end of the 17th century dental diseases, especially infected and impacted wisdom teeth, were common. According to some medical historians, that time period also saw numerous changes in the human diet, which began to include more soft, cooked foods. Today we eat a diet that's largely made up of processed foods that don't require nearly as much chewing.

Opponents of evolution discount the role of evolving jaws and brains and instead place greater emphasis on dietary shifts and dental hygiene, which they say reduced our reliance on wisdom teeth.

Continue Learning about Wisdom Teeth

How will I know if my wisdom teeth have become impacted?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
As part of a dental visit, your dentist will examine you to determine if your wisdom teeth are healt...
What are the symptoms of a wisdom tooth problem?
Every patient is unique, but in general, wisdom teeth may need to be removed when there is evidence ...
What are the risks of removing wisdom teeth?
Many of the risks involving the removal of wisdom teeth are similar to risks associated with other t...
Why do I need to have my wisdom teeth removed?
Wisdom teeth that are healthy and properly positioned can be an asset. Commonly, however, wisdom...