When should adults get a booster shot for pertussis (whooping cough)?

Adults 19 years of age and older who didn't get Tdap as a preteen or teen should get one dose of Tdap. Getting vaccinated with Tdap at least two weeks before coming into close contact with an infant is especially important for families with and caregivers of new infants.

Adults get Tdap in place of one of their regular tetanus boosters—the Td shot that is recommended for adults every 10 years. However, the dose of Tdap can be given no matter when the last Tdap shot was received. Pregnant women are recommended a dose of Tdap during each pregnancy. It's a good idea for adults to talk to a healthcare provider about what's best for their specific situation.

Continue Learning about Whooping Cough

Can I Develop Whooping Cough (Pertussis) as an Adult?
People of all ages can get whooping cough (pertussis). Watch Darria Long-Gillespie, MD, explain how symptoms can be different for adults and children,...
How does whooping cough (pertussis) affect the body?
The bacterium Bordetella pertussis infects the respiratory tract and prevents natural defense system...
What are the symptoms of whooping cough (pertussis) in children?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
The symptoms of whooping cough (pertussis) in children are: Sneezing Runny nose Minimal or no f...
How Effective Are Pertussis (Whooping Cough) Vaccines?