Can toxic bioaccumulation be prevented?

It is difficult to totally avoid the bioaccumulation of toxic substances in the developed world. In the last century, tens of thousands of new chemicals have been formulated and, in the United States, billions of pounds of harmful chemicals are dispersed annually. The Center for Disease Control says their research has shown high levels of harmful chemicals in almost all individuals, even in newborns and in mothers' milk. We also accumulate natural environmental toxins such as mold and radon. The following are some ways to help prevent or reduce the bioaccumulation of toxic substances:

• Do not put harmful substances (e.g., used motor oil) into the water system or storm drains. Contact a recycling center for methods of safe disposal.
  • Avoid toxic chemical pesticides.
  • Eat certified organic foods when possible. Always wash fruits and vegetables before consuming.
  • Avoid fishing or spending time in contaminated areas.
  • Avoid plastics.
  • Use cleaning products that are gentle on the environment.
  • Choose fish wisely, as many contain unsafe levels of toxins.

Continue Learning about Bioaccumulation

What lifestyle changes should I make to reduce toxic bioaccumula-tion?
A lifestyle change designed to avoid exposure to harmful substances will help reduce the bioaccumula...
What types of toxins can cause fatigue?
Eva B. Cwynar, MDEva B. Cwynar, MD
There are three types of toxins that can cause fatigue: Internal toxins: These come from the overg...
How do I manage my toxic bioaccumulation on a daily basis?
Avoiding further exposure to toxic substances is one of the most important ways to manage toxic bioa...
How can toxins cause fatigue?
Eva B. Cwynar, MDEva B. Cwynar, MD
Toxic overload is a condition that I consider to be one of the most frequent, yet least diagnose...