What is selficide?

Dr. Kathleen Hall
Preventive Medicine
A friend of mine, Dr. Patrick Malone, in his book, The Windows of Experience, uses a term called "selficide." Dr. Malone describes selficide as "the leaking of your personhood. It is living death," he asserts. Selficide is killing of your real inner Self that was created for a purpose, and denying yourself an intentional life of true happiness. When you cut yourself off from knowing the inner you, you commit selficide. If you have imprisoned your mind, fearing to discover who you are, what you want in life, and what your purpose is, you are committing selficide. When you commit selficide you destroy the Devine potential of your body, soul, and mind. You injure, damage, and deaden your Self and don't even realize it.

You may wonder, how do I know if I am committing selficide? I would ask if you are experiencing passion, curiosity, energy, meaningful relationships, and true happiness. Are you connected to the vast universe within yourself and the one outside your Self? Do you feel alive? Are you living confidently knowing the purpose of your life is unfolding? If you answered yes to all these, congratulations, you are obviously experiencing intimacy and happiness. But if you answered no to these questions you are committing selficide. Don't feel bad; there aren't just a few of you -- millions of people commit selficide each and every day.
A Life in Balance: Nourishing the Four Roots of True Happiness

Nautilus Book Awards Winners for 2007 (category: Self-Help/Psychology/ Personal Growth) "Like many people, Kathleen Hall found that despite great success and material wealth, she had yet to identify...

Continue Learning about Wellness

Ask Oz and Roizen: Alternatives to Sugary Drinks and AFib Treatments
Q: My son and his bicycling and skateboarding buds have all fallen under the spell of marketing campaigns for sodas and power and sports drinks. I can...
How can I reach my goals?
Deborah Serani, PsyDDeborah Serani, PsyD
Choose positive support systems to help you achieve success and reach your goals. Find people who wi...
5 Critical Factors That Determine Your Wellness
5 Critical Factors That Determine Your Wellness5 Critical Factors That Determine Your Wellness5 Critical Factors That Determine Your Wellness5 Critical Factors That Determine Your Wellness
These five measurements can determine whether you thrive or just survive.
How Can Too Much Clutter Be Harmful to My Health?