How can helping others affect my health and well-being?

Dr. Kathleen Hall
Preventive Medicine
A generous soul lives a rich abundant life. Altruism neutralizes negative emotions that affect immune, endocrine, and cardiovascular function. Altruism creates physiological responses or a "helpers high," which makes people feel stronger and more energetic and counters harmful effects of stress.

Research shows altruism creates health and happiness in your life. When Harvard researchers showed a documentary of Mother Teresa and her work, feelings of altruism were evoked in the group being studied. Researchers measured a component of the subjects' immune system, Immunoglobulin A. They found that Immunoglobulin A increased after the group experienced feelings of altruism.
A Life in Balance: Nourishing the Four Roots of True Happiness

Nautilus Book Awards Winners for 2007 (category: Self-Help/Psychology/ Personal Growth) "Like many people, Kathleen Hall found that despite great success and material wealth, she had yet to identify...

Continue Learning about Wellness

Ask Oz and Roizen: The Link Between Smoking and Drinking, and the Dangers of Cipro
Q: My friend said she had to quit drinking, so she could quit smoking. I don’t understand what she’s talking about. Is there science there or is it al...
Does your behavior control fate or does fate control you?
Basically, locus of control refers to whether you're the kind of person who believes that either the...
The Worst Work Habits for Your Health
The Worst Work Habits for Your HealthThe Worst Work Habits for Your HealthThe Worst Work Habits for Your HealthThe Worst Work Habits for Your Health
Kick these bad work habits to the curb for a healthier 9 to 5.
What's the Main Cause of Health Attitudes in this Country?