Is food addiction caused by good-tasting food?

Although much of the research has focused on junk food addiction, some studies suggest the taste of the food may not be that much of a factor. In one study, people consumed a bland-tasting nutritional beverage, made with naltrexone, daily for five days. The subjects reported that they did not enjoy the taste of the beverage, but a few craved the drink after they returned to a normal diet. Naltrexone treatment makes foods taste bland but does not lead to greater weight loss, as one would expect if taste drove the eating compulsion of food addicts. However, rats do appear to become addicted to foods that contain high amounts of sugar, which may be a clue to what triggers food addiction in humans.

Continue Learning about Weight Loss

Do Weight Management Apps Really Help?
Do Weight Management Apps Really Help?
When we say LeBron James and Steph Curry are super-great basketball players—the stats back us up! In Game 1 of the 2016 NBA playoffs, James became fir...
How does my blood sugar level affect my weight?
Your blood sugar level is the amount of glucose from what you eat that’s circulating in your blo...
7 Common Weight Loss Mistakes—and How to Fix Them
7 Common Weight Loss Mistakes—and How to Fix Them7 Common Weight Loss Mistakes—and How to Fix Them7 Common Weight Loss Mistakes—and How to Fix Them7 Common Weight Loss Mistakes—and How to Fix Them
Deborah Wilburn
Movies That Make You Cry May Make You Fat