How can I curb hunger while trying to lose weight?

F. Michael Gloth, III
Geriatric Medicine
One response to the sensation of hunger can be to eat, which is fine at the right time and in the right amount. However, if your goal is to lose weight, hunger is a beacon of success. Keep in mind that hunger reflects your body saying "I'm losing weight!" and it is a welcome sign of ongoing success. This is not to say that you should be uncomfortable throughout the process. There are many ways to curb hunger pangs. For example:
  • Hunger and thirst often overlap, so you can sometimes suppress hunger by drinking a low-calorie beverage.
  • Another option is to exercise, because strenuous activity almost always takes away the feeling of hunger. Even if you are still hungry afterward, the impact of eating will be less after exercise.
  • If you successfully avoid eating, exercise can be followed by a brief nap. Sleep alone often will improve energy and reduce hunger, because it helps to curb appetite and fat stores by producing beneficial changes in some chemicals in the body, such as the leptins.
  • Another option is to eat foods that have limited amounts of effective calories, eating only the amount needed to suppress your hunger.
  • Sometimes trying a small taste of a tempting food item will be sufficient to stop a craving, but you must do this consciously and stop after a very small portion.
Fit at Fifty and Beyond: A Balanced Exercise and Nutrition Program (A DiaMedica Guide to Optimum Wellness)

As people reach their fifties, the body’s metabolism slows. Without a change in eating or exercise habits, it’s common to put on weight and become less able to perform routine physical...

Continue Learning about Weight Loss

Cut 248 Calories with This Schedule Switch
Here's a neat way to cut calories and help keep your pants size stable. Just pull on your PJs an hour earlier. Why? Because research suggests that pe...
What is the weight-loss equation?
Paula GreerPaula Greer
My weight loss equation is simple: MEALMove - You have to move to lose; my motto is a minimum of 10,...
6 Simples Changes That Can Help You Lose Weight
6 Simples Changes That Can Help You Lose Weight6 Simples Changes That Can Help You Lose Weight6 Simples Changes That Can Help You Lose Weight6 Simples Changes That Can Help You Lose Weight
Use the summer to get fit, eat healthier and live better
Is a Gluten-Free Diet Really a Healthy Way to Take Off Pounds?