Can wearing a pedometer help with weight loss?

Activity is crucial to maintaining a healthy weight. In this video, bariatric surgeon Neil McDevitt, MD, of Trident Medical Center, explains how a pedometer can help you get a handle on your weight.
James O. Hill
Wearing a pedometer can be a great motivator to walk more each day. You need feedback if you're going to change a behavior, and pedometers are the best way to get accurate feedback about physical activity. Most people consistently overestimate how they walk and are surprised when they see the reading at the end of the day.

Continue Learning about Weight Loss Strategies

Want to Lose Weight? Take the A Train
Want to Lose Weight? Take the A Train
When Duke Ellington started playing Take the A Train during the 1940s and 50s, around 30 percent of North American adults were overweight. Now the rat...
Why should I avoid thinking of food as a reward if I want to lose weight?
Laura Katleman-PrueLaura Katleman-Prue
Thinking of food as a reward is only a problem if you reward yourself too much. When there's no ...
Why won't starving myself help me lose weight?
Rose ReismanRose Reisman
It's so difficult to convince people that if they eat more often and exercise, rather than starv...
What Is the Most Effective Way to Lose Weight?