Can wearing a pedometer help with weight loss?

James O. Hill
Wearing a pedometer can be a great motivator to walk more each day. You need feedback if you're going to change a behavior, and pedometers are the best way to get accurate feedback about physical activity. Most people consistently overestimate how they walk and are surprised when they see the reading at the end of the day.
Activity is crucial to maintaining a healthy weight. In this video, bariatric surgeon Neil McDevitt, MD, of Trident Medical Center, explains how a pedometer can help you get a handle on your weight.

Continue Learning about Weight Loss Strategies

Want to Lose Weight? Take the A Train
Want to Lose Weight? Take the A Train
When Duke Ellington started playing Take the A Train during the 1940s and 50s, around 30 percent of North American adults were overweight. Now the rat...
What should I know before I get Vanquish fat reduction treatments?
Howard D. Sobel, MDHoward D. Sobel, MD
The FDA-approved Vanquish device works well on targeted areas of the body, but it's not recommended ...
Why should I plan my meals ahead of time if I'm trying to lose weight?
Dr. Andrea Pennington, MDDr. Andrea Pennington, MD
From failing to plan meals for a busy day to not having healthy items on hand for hectic schedules...
How Does the HCG Diet Work?
How Does the HCG Diet Work?