Besides cutting calories, what can I do to lose weight?

Ozgen Dogan
Weight loss doesn't come just from cutting calories. You have to increase your physical energy, and by this I mean exercise. A good way to start is by walking 30 minutes a day. This should be done at a pace that doesn't cause shortness of breath. Also, revisit what you're eating so you don't deprive yourself of feeling satiated. For instance, fruit juice has a high glycemic index. Drinking it sets you up for a blood sugar crash and, consequently, hunger pangs. Have a piece of fruit instead. Its high fiber content will keep you full and reduce calorie absorption. Dry figs and apricots, walnuts, oatmeal and whole grain bread are wonderful, satisfying choices.

Continue Learning about Weight Loss Strategies

Want to Lose Weight? Take the A Train
Want to Lose Weight? Take the A Train
When Duke Ellington started playing Take the A Train during the 1940s and 50s, around 30 percent of North American adults were overweight. Now the rat...
Is chewing your food important for weight loss?
Marilyn Ricci, M.S., R.D.Marilyn Ricci, M.S., R.D.
The faster you eat, the more you can eat before your brain gets the message that you are full, which...
How can eating breakfast help me minimize cravings?
Katie Rickel, PhDKatie Rickel, PhD
Dieters often reason that if they are not hungry upon waking, then it makes sense to skip breakf...
How Does the HCG Diet Work?
How Does the HCG Diet Work?