You can get a great work out from both. A good question to ask is, “which one works best for me?” Walking on a treadmill, at an incline, can cause some people increased hip pain. If a person has tight hip flexors, the incline can increase the use of the hip flexor muscles causing even tighter muscles. The use of a foam roller and stretching can help decrease hip tightness if you still choose to walk on the treadmill with an incline. If you still have pain (even with a stretch routine in place), a flat treadmill may be your safest way to exercise.
- Q What can I use when walking if I don’t have a pedometer?
- Q What healthy snacks complement a walking program?
- Q Does owning a dog make people more physically active?
- Q How can I fit a walking schedule into my busy day?
- Q Should I vary my walking workout speeds?
- Q What are tips for walking for exercise?