How can I make walking part of my life?

Starting a walking program is one of the best and easiest ways to improve overall fitness.

Whether walking on our own, listening to music/entertainment or walking with our spouse or friend; walking should be viewed as opportunity for quality time or quiet time, away from the demands of everyday life. 

As a precaution to starting your walking program, a dynamic postural assessment performed by a NASM personal trainer will be very beneficial to you. Particularly if you are experiencing some discomfort during or after your walk. A dynamic postural assessment observes your basic body movements, how your muscles and joints work together, and to look for any imbalances in your posture alignment. An optimal posture alignment lets your body produce a walking gait at a high level of functional strength, movement and range of motion.

The more you implement your walking program; the more it will become enjoyable and healthy. 

The true question is how you can not? Walking is a part of your life. How do you get to your desk? How do you get to and through the grocery store? The answer is simple, you walk. Now all you need to do is extend those walks and walking as exercise will be part of your life. The benefits are phenomenal and well worth the effort. Think about how great your body will feel on a daily basis when you include exercise. You will feel more alert, energized, and ready to take on the day.

Walk to a new you!

Dr. Robin Miller, MD

Once you start walking and realize how good it feels it will be easy to make it a part of your life.  Do your best to make it a fun, enjoyable experience.  Get good walking shoes that fit your feet and start at a comfortable pace.  You can do it with friends or if you like being alone that is OK as well.

If you need distraction, get some great music and listen to it while you walk.  I have found a great place to walk that is quiet and beautiful.  I like listening to the birds and crickets.  As a result walking has become a part of my life.  It is relaxing and energizing and something I do as often as I can because I like it and it makes me feel good.

One can make walking part of an individual’s life by taking steps towards developing a daily habit of movement. Some of the best ways to incorporate walking is to park at a comfortable but challenging distance, or go walking outdoors with a co-worker at lunch.

Continue Learning about Walking