What questions might my doctor ask me about vulvar cancer symptoms?

Knowing what kinds of questions your doctor might ask about vulvar cancer symptoms and health history allows you to think about your answers ahead of time. This way you can deliver accurate information when the time comes. Your doctor may ask you to identify your symptoms, the frequency of your symptoms, and anything that makes your symptoms better or worse. Your doctor may also want to know if you've been diagnosed with HPV or have had a melanoma.

Continue Learning about Vulvar Cancer

Vulvar Cancer

Vulvar cancer develops when abnormal cells grow on the surface of a womans external genitalia.Developing slowly over years, cancer of the vulva affects the inner and outer vaginal lips called the labia minora and labia majora, the ...

opening to the vagina called the vestibule and the clitoris. See your doctor if you notice an itchy or painful lump or sore on your genitalia. Like other gynecologic cancers, the human papillomavirus (HPV) puts you at higher risk of developing this disease. You also have increased risk if youre over the age of 50, have been infected with HIV or have been diagnosed with cervical cancer. A pelvic exam can detect vulvar cancer. Chemotherapy and radiation therapy are commonly used to treat this cancer. Aggressive treatments may require removal of part or the entire vulva.