Is biotin deficiency common in children?

Biotin (also known as vitamin H) is found in plenty of kid-friendly foods, including eggs, nuts and nut butters, soybeans and other legumes, cauliflower, bananas and whole grain products, so most children meet their biotin needs by eating a well-rounded diet. Adequate daily intakes for biotin for children range from 5 micrograms (mcg) in babies up to age 6 months to 25 mcg in 14- to 18-year-olds. Some pediatricians suggest a biotin supplement if a child is low in biotin or has a condition such as cradle cap that biotin might help treat.

Continue Learning about Biotin

Ways Biotin Can Skew Test Results
Ways Biotin Can Skew Test Results
Bio-fuel, biotin supplements and biosphere: Which “bio” does the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) recommend you avoid if you want to get a proper re...
Should I let my doctor know I am taking biotin?
If you have a biotin deficiency, your doctor should be aware of this condition and help you regu...
Who should not take biotin?
Biotin has been shown to be essentially non-toxic and safe at doses up to 10 mg. daily. Anyone w...
Is boitin good to use for hair growth?
Biotin may help boost hair growth: Although it's weak, there is some evidence that biotin (vitam...