How can vitamin C help treat age spots?

When it comes to treating age spots, you don’t need chemical peels and lasers -- it turns out that vitamin C can have almost the same results! Age spots are essentially sun damage, and vitamin C is a powerful antioxidant, shown to reduce the number of sunburned cells as well as reverse age-related damage to skin. While it’s not a replacement for sunscreen, vitamin C protects against and may repair UV damage like discoloration and fine lines.

Taking vitamin C through a supplement or food is beneficial to your health, but to specifically target signs of aging on your face, topical vitamin C is best. In fact, applying vitamin C to the skin can be 20 times more effective than taking it orally.

This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com
Elizabeth K. Hale, MD
Dermatology

Vitamin C is an easy and effective treatment for age spots, but it can cause problems if you don't know how to use it. In this video, dermatologist Elizabeth Hale explains how to do it right.

Continue Learning about Vitamin C

Vitamin C Is Not an Exercise Replacement
John F. Kennedy once said, “There are risks and costs to a program of action, but they are far less than the long-range risks and costs of comfortable...
How should I use vitamin C to help my skin look younger?
Taking vitamin C through a supplement or food is beneficial to your health, but to specifically targ...
Should I use a skin product that contains vitamin C?
Putting vitamin C directly on your skin can improve not only wrinkles and dryness but also roughness...
What Are the Benefits of Vitamin C for the Skin?