What is the definition of visual impairment?

Low vision and visual impairments are legally stipulated. That may vary by your state. Typically, visual acuity of 20/200 or less or visual field less than 20 degrees are required.

There are many definitions of partial impairment, which may affect central acuity (the eye chart) or visual field. In general, the legal definitions apply to the patient as a whole and not to each eye, so that impairment in one eye with a normal fellow eye would not be considered impairment of the patient unless there was substantial loss of visual field.

Continue Learning about Visual Impairments

How does Braille help people with visual impairment?
Braille is a language that is used to represent letters, numbers, punctuation marks and even entire ...
What is the rate of incidence for visual impairments?
Because there are many different kinds of visual impairments it is difficult to measure the rate of ...
What specialized services are available to help with visual impairment?
Challenge AmericaChallenge America
There are many specialized services available to help the visually impaired. Some services you may u...
What can I do if I have trouble seeing at night?
Gary S. Hirshfield, MDGary S. Hirshfield, MD
This is a very common problem. You should have a comprehensive exam from an opthalmologist. They wil...