Is tonsillitis a throat disorder?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Tonsillitis can be classified as a throat disorder. The tonsils are near the throat and can affect the throat when inflamed. Inflammation of the tonsils can also be caused by proper throat disorders such as strep throat.

Joan Haizlip, MSN
Yes, tonsillitis is a throat disorder.  Tonsillitis is an infection of the tonsils, the two oval-shaped nodes in the back of the throat.  When you have tonsillitis, your throat is very painful and you have difficulty swallowing. 

Continue Learning about Viral Throat Infections

How do I care for someone with a viral throat infection?
To care for someone with a viral throat infection, it is important to make the person comfortable. I...
Are over-the-counter medications available for viral throat infection?
No medications actually treat viral throat infection, but some may relieve the symptoms. Common vira...
Does viral throat infection affect children differently than adults?
Viral throat infection is much more common in children than adults because many adults have deve...
How do medications treat viral throat infection?
Medicines are not used to treat viral throat infections. Antiviral drugs can be harmful to human...