Is there a relationship between viral throat infection and herpes viruses?

A viral throat infection may be caused by several types of viruses. The herpes viruses include eight different viruses. Epstein-Barr, which can cause mononucleosis, and cytomegalovirus are both types of herpes viruses that may lead directly to throat infections. Herpes simplex viruses 1, 2, and 3 cause blisters to form on the mucous membranes and skin. Herpes types 6 and 7 cause roseola infantum, which is a childhood illness. Herpes 8 has been connected to a cancer that develops in people who have acquired immune deficiency syndrome, or AIDS.

Continue Learning about Viral Throat Infections

How is viral throat infection diagnosed?
A viral throat infection will usually present with a swollen, sore, and red throat. The only way to ...
What causes viral throat infection?
Viral throat infection is caused by tiny organisms that attack the cells of the respiratory system i...
How do medications treat viral throat infection?
Medicines are not used to treat viral throat infections. Antiviral drugs can be harmful to human...
Should I talk to my child's school about viral throat infection?
A viral throat infection is contagious through sneezing and coughing so it may be advantage to infor...