How can I treat a sore throat naturally while at college?

Daphne Oz
Health Education
Sore throat sometimes accompanies your cold or comes on its own, especially when you aren't getting enough sleep or are sleeping in a very dry room. Drugstore-variety throat lozenges, especially those with lemon and honey, are very helpful for mild soreness. Also, drinking tea with honey and lemon can help. But when you need something with a little more kick to get over a sore throat, try the following tried-and-true remedies:
  • Mix 1/2 teaspoon of salt into one cup of warm water and add Weleda Ratanhia Mouthwash with myrrh (as directed on bottle) to the solution. Gargle for thirty seconds and spit. Repeat until solution is finished. Do not rinse; you want the solution to coat your throat and stay there as long as possible, so that the beneficial properties of the salt and myrrh have the most time to work.
  • Pour five to ten drops of NutriBiotic's Grapefruit Seed Extract into one cup of warm water and gargle for sixty seconds.
  • Drink tea as often as you like. Two that are especially useful for curing sore throats are Celestial Seasonings' Throat Soothers and Traditional Medicinals' Throat Coat.
  • Warm chicken soup or miso soup (clear, warm liquids) also help soothe the pain associated with sore throats.
The Dorm Room Diet: The 10-Step Program for Creating a Healthy Lifestyle Plan That Really Works

The 10-Step Program for Creating a Healthy Lifestyle Plan That Really WorksThe Dorm Room DietRevised and Updated EditionFiguring out how to eat right and stay healthy on your own can be hard! Here is...

Continue Learning about Viral Throat Infections

How is viral throat infection diagnosed?
A viral throat infection will usually present with a swollen, sore, and red throat. The only way to ...
What is the rate of incidence for viral throat infection?
Viral throat infections are very common. Viruses that cause the common cold and flu actually lead ma...
What viral illnesses cause viral throat infection?
There are several viral illnesses that can cause a viral throat infection. These include:the common ...
Should I talk to my doctor about a viral throat infection?
Most sore throats resolve within a few days and do not require medical attention. If you believe you...