Are there alternative treatments for croup?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

In most cases, croup is mild enough to be treated at home. If your child's doctor recommends home treatment, give your child plenty of rest and fluids. Steam, such as from a vaporizer, can ease the symptoms of croup during the recovery period, which usually lasts less than a week. Inhaling cold air, such as the air outside at night, has also been known to help. You can give your child acetaminophen to ease his or her discomfort and fever. Such alternative treatments may not be sufficient if your child's croup is severe, however.

Continue Learning about Viral Throat Infections

What activity should someone with viral throat infection avoid?
A person with viral throat infection will most likely not feel well enough to do too much in the beg...
Why won't my doctor prescribe an antibiotic for my sore throat?
St Francis Medical CenterSt Francis Medical Center
Your doctor won't prescribe an antibiotic for your sore throat because the majority of the time a so...
How do I care for someone with a viral throat infection?
To care for someone with a viral throat infection, it is important to make the person comfortable. I...
Are there alternative treatments for viral throat infections?
Most of the alternative treatments used for viral throat infection work to relieve pain and discomfo...