Am I more likely to get a viral skin infection in some areas of the world?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Skin infections and other problems are one of the top illnesses for travelers to report on their return home. The most frequent skin infections in travelers are bacterial and fungal, but some viral infections do affect the skin. For example, dengue fever is caused by any one of four types of dengue virus; along with other symptoms, people infected by the virus may have a skin rash. If you have recently traveled and are concerned about changes you have noticed in your skin, you should talk to your doctor.

Continue Learning about Viral Infections

Why You Should Be Paying Attention to West Nile Virus
During the sultry months of summer, mosquitos are usually just a nuisance when you spend time outdoors. But when they hold the potential to pass on se...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with croup?
In most cases, croup lasts less than a week and is mild enough to be treated at home. Be aware that ...
Are certain viruses seasonal?
Howard I. Baron, MDHoward I. Baron, MD
Certain viruses that cause children gastrointestinal upset are seasonal, says Howard Baron, MD, a pe...
What Time of Year Do Most Viral Infections Occur?