What causes encephalitis?

Infectious encephalitis occurs when viruses, bacteria, fungi or parasites get into the brain. Usually the body's immune system protects the brain by fighting off these germs. But sometimes the germs are too strong and the immune system can’t fight them off. The germs multiply and attack the brain. This makes the brain swell up and stops it from working properly. This is infectious encephalitis.

A viral infection in the brain is the most common cause of encephalitis. Sometimes the viral infection starts in another part of the body and then spreads to the brain. Measles and the herpes virus are two common viral infections have been known to cause encephalitis. Encephalitis may also be brought on by a bacterial infection, although this is less common. Lyme disease is one example of a bacterial infection that has been linked to encephalitis.

Continue Learning about Viral Infections

Why You Should Be Paying Attention to West Nile Virus
During the sultry months of summer, mosquitos are usually just a nuisance when you spend time outdoors. But when they hold the potential to pass on se...
How do I manage my yellow fever on a daily basis?
If you have a flu-like illness following travel to an area where yellow fever is known to occur, see...
Should I have my tonsils removed if I keep getting viral throat infection?
For many years doctors recommended a tonsillectomy for recurring viral throat infection. This is a l...
What Time of Year Do Most Viral Infections Occur?