What can I do to manage my mononucleosis (mono)?

Mononucleosis (mono) is a viral illness that is treated supportively. This means no antibiotics are given, and hospitalization is not usually needed. If your family doctor diagnoses you with mono, he or she will advise plenty of rest and fluids, as well as Tylenol for fever or muscle aches. Children and teenagers are strongly encouraged to stop any contact sports for at least four weeks because of the rare chance of spleen rupture.

The best thing you can do to manage your mononucleosis on a daily basis is rest and drink lots of liquids. Your doctor can give you medications to treat infections that might develop, such as sinus infections and strep. He or she may also give you corticosteroids to treat swollen tonsils or throat. You can also gargle with salt water to soothe your throat. If your spleen is enlarged, you should refrain from rough activities such as sports. You also should ease back into your normal routine to prevent a relapse.

Continue Learning about Viral Infections

Viral Infections

Viral Infections

Viral infections like herpes simplex, respiratory syncytial virus (RSV), chicken pox and rotavirus are infections caused by a virus instead of a bacterium. Viral infections do not respond to antibiotics, but some specific viruses ...

like influenza A and B can be treated with certain antiviral medications. Most commonly, treatment for viral infections includes drinking lots of fluids, getting rest, eating well and letting the illness run its course.