How should my child be treated for rotavirus?

The goal of treatment is to keep your child from getting dehydrated. Your child’s doctor will talk with you about specific care for your child. Some general guidelines to follow include:

• Since rotavirus is caused by a virus, it cannot be treated with
          antibiotics.
  • If your child is in the hospital, he may need intravenous (I.V.) fluids.
          They can help to replace some of the lost water and electrolytes.
          I.V. fluids also let your child’s stomach rest for a while.

Continue Learning about Viral Infections

Viral Infections

Viral Infections

Viral infections like herpes simplex, respiratory syncytial virus (RSV), chicken pox and rotavirus are infections caused by a virus instead of a bacterium. Viral infections do not respond to antibiotics, but some specific viruses ...

like influenza A and B can be treated with certain antiviral medications. Most commonly, treatment for viral infections includes drinking lots of fluids, getting rest, eating well and letting the illness run its course.