What questions should I ask my doctor about peripheral artery disease risk?

If you have not been diagnosed with peripheral artery disease (PAD) but have had a heart attack or stroke, have diabetes, or have a family history of cardiovascular disease, you may want to talk with your doctor about your risk for PAD. Patients with PAD have blockages in the arteries that supply blood to the legs, feet, kidneys, or sometimes arms. 
Before you go to your appointment it can be helpful to write down a list of questions you have. The questions below can help you get started:
  1. Based on my family history, am I at greater risk for PAD?
  2. Based on my personal history, am I at greater risk for PAD?
  3. How can I prevent losing my toes, feet, and legs to amputation
  4. Does diabetes increase my risk of having PAD?
  5. Do my cholesterol levels put me at risk for PAD?
  6. Is my weight within a healthy range to prevent PAD?
  7. Can you help me quit smoking? (If you smoke.)
  8. Is my blood pressure within the normal range? Can you help me control high blood pressure?
  9. What dietary choices should I be making for cardiovascular health?
  10. What level of exercise is safe for me and will also have cardiovascular benefits?

Continue Learning about Vascular Disease