What should I do if I think I have peripheral artery disease (PAD)?

If you think you have PAD, you should see a doctor. Make an appointment with your primary care doctor and speak candidly about your concerns and symptoms and be prepared to answer questions like these:

  • Do you experience discomfort in your legs when walking?
  • Have you developed an ulceration that is not healing well?
  • Do you feel the discomfort even with standing, sitting or lying down?
  • Does the discomfort reliably occur after you have walked a certain distance—a distance you can almost predict?
  • Does the discomfort promptly stop when you stop your activity?
  • Has the discomfort you feel in your leg gotten worse over the past six months?

When you walk:

  • Do you feel discomfort in your calf?
  • Do you feel discomfort in your thigh?
  • Do you feel discomfort in your foot?
  • Do you feel discomfort in your buttock area?

If you answer “yes” to two or more of the above questions, you may be at increased risk for PAD and your doctor will probably want to examine you and do some tests.

Continue Learning about Vascular Disease

How to Get a Leg Up on Peripheral Artery Disease
How to Get a Leg Up on Peripheral Artery Disease
When a trip up the stairs triggers pain in your legs or hips, you might think you can’t exercise. If you have peripheral artery disease (PAD), however...
Read More
How can I tell if my coronary plaque is improving with treatment?
Memorial Hospital of TampaMemorial Hospital of Tampa
Doctors can use a cardiac computerized tomography (CT) scan to see if your plaque is improving with ...
More Answers
What should I expect after an angioplasty for peripheral artery disease?
Medical Center of TrinityMedical Center of Trinity
You can expect soreness and bruising after angioplasty.
More Answers
Eat Walnuts to Help Manage Diabetes
Eat Walnuts to Help Manage Diabetes

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.