What should I do if I think I have peripheral artery disease (PAD)?

If you think you have PAD, you should see a doctor. Make an appointment with your primary care doctor and speak candidly about your concerns and symptoms and be prepared to answer questions like these:

• Do you experience discomfort in your legs when walking?
  • Have you developed an ulceration that is not healing well?
  • Do you feel the discomfort even with standing, sitting or lying down?
  • Does the discomfort reliably occur after you have walked a certain distance—a distance you can almost predict?
  • Does the discomfort promptly stop when you stop your activity?
  • Has the discomfort you feel in your leg gotten worse over the past six months?

When you walk:

• Do you feel discomfort in your calf?
  • Do you feel discomfort in your thigh?
  • Do you feel discomfort in your foot?
  • Do you feel discomfort in your buttock area?

If you answer “yes” to two or more of the above questions, you may be at increased risk for PAD and your doctor will probably want to examine you and do some tests.

Continue Learning about Vascular Disease

How to Get a Leg Up on Peripheral Artery Disease
When a trip up the stairs triggers pain in your legs or hips, you might think you can’t exercise. If you have peripheral artery disease (PAD), however...
Prevent Plaque in Arteries with This Summer Fruit
Keep your arteries healthy, flexible, and clog-free by tossing a handful of sweet, juicy blueberries into your morning yogurt cup. Research suggests ...
What causes aortic disease?
Columbia University Department of SurgeryColumbia University Department of Surgery
There are a variety of causes of aortic disease. They include genetic and acquired causes. Genetic c...
At what age should I worry about peripheral vascular disease (PVD)?
Dr. Michael L. Schwartz, MDDr. Michael L. Schwartz, MD
Peripheral vascular disease (PVD) can begin at an early age. So, you should try to modify your risk ...