What should I do if I think I have peripheral artery disease (PAD)?

Saquib Samee, MD
If you think you have peripheral artery disease (PAD), seek medical attention. In this video, Saquib Samee, MD, a cardiologist at Chippenham Hospital, describes PAD symptoms and what doctors can do about the disease.
If you think you have PAD, you should see a doctor. Make an appointment with your primary care doctor and speak candidly about your concerns and symptoms and be prepared to answer questions like these:
 • Do you experience discomfort in your legs when walking?
• Have you developed an ulceration that is not healing well?
• Do you feel the discomfort even with standing, sitting or lying down?   
• Does the discomfort reliably occur after you have walked a certain distance - a distance you can almost predict?
• Does the discomfort promptly stop when you stop your activity?
• Has the discomfort you feel in your leg gotten worse over the past six months?
Whe you walk:
• Do you feel discomfort in your calf?
• Do you feel discomfort in your thigh?
• Do you feel discomfort in your foot?
• Do you feel discomfort in your buttock area?
 If you answer “yes” to two or more of the above questions, you may be at increased risk for PAD and your doctor will probably want to examine you and do some tests

Continue Learning about Vascular Disease