How can I prevent plaque buildup in my arteries?

Delmar M. Rogers, MD
If you are at risk of plaque buildup in your blood vessels, you need to have your cholesterol checked. You need to have a primary care doctor, particularly as you get older. If you have any problems with hyperlipidemia or buildup of cholesterol, you need to make sure that your primary care doctor is monitoring this.

There are a lot of different drugs that are available to treat this, but the most common class that's most effective are drugs called statins (Lipitor, Zocor, Crestor, Pravachol). These are very effective drugs, and they can do wonders in terms of bringing down your cholesterol and helping to overcome some of the buildup of plaque within the arteries.

The number one thing that a person can do to prevent plaque buildup is to refrain from smoking. Smoking has the most influence in terms of long-term health and longevity.

Continue Learning about Vascular Disease