Q

Urinary Tract Infections (UTI)

How does a urinary tract infection affect the body?

• How does a urinary tract infection affect the body?
    A urinary tract infection has no affect on the body other than being an inconvenience for the person, says Kenneth Stallman, MD, with Methodist Specialty and Transplant Hospital. In this video, he talks about the lesser symptoms of a UTI.
  • Urinary tract infections can affect the bodies in several ways, depending on the specific location of the infection and the severity of the infection. When the lower urinary tract is involved and the severity is limited, local symptoms such as pain and burning with urination, frequent and hesitant urination, and blood in the urine are typical. When the upper urinary tract is involved and/or the severity of the infection is more pronounced, more generalized symptoms such as fever, chills, nausea, vomiting, and abdominal and back pain may appear. When urinary tract infections are treated promptly and effectively, complications are unlikely. However, if treatment is delayed or insufficient, significant complications can arise.

This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.
If I get urinary tract infections (UTI) often, how can my doctor help me?