How is a cough stress test for urinary incontinence done?

Jill Rabin
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)
You will be asked to come to the office with a full bladder and asked to cough in an upright and supine (lying-down) position. Then you may be asked to empty your bladder. This urine may be sent for various tests. You will also be asked to repeat this coughing maneuver with an empty bladder. If you lose urine with either a full or empty bladder, the diagnosis may be stress incontinence.
Mind Over Bladder: I Never Met a Bathroom I Didn't Like!

Advance praise for Mind Over Bladder "Where is the closest bathroom?" If you listen hard enough, these are the words you hear from the lips of millions of women as they enter malls, lobbies, museums,...

Continue Learning about Urinary Incontinence

Bladder Problems? Do Kegels
Bladder Problems? Do Kegels
What embarrassing health secret do teen athletes, guys in their 40s to 90s, middle-age women, and military parachute trainees share but rarely 'fess u...
What facts should I know about stress incontinence?
Jill RabinJill Rabin
There are a number of facts you should know about stress incontinence:• Forty to fifty percent of wo...
When should men see a doctor for urinary incontinence?
In regards to the lower urinary tract, there are three major causes of urinary incontinence in men, ...
What Causes Urinary Incontinence in Females?