What are the treatment options for urethral cancer?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

The treatment options for urethral cancer typically include surgery, radiation therapy, or both. Surgery is the most widely suggested treatment protocol. What kind of surgery recommended and whether this is a viable option for you all depends on where the cancer has been found in your urethra and what stage of spread has occurred. Radiation therapy may be advised on its own or as an adjunct treatment following your surgery. In the case of urethral cancer, radiation is given in one of two ways. External radiation conducts radiation waves from a machine outside your body to the area where your cancer is. In internal radiation, a contained radioactive substance is placed directly into the cancer inside your body.

Continue Learning about Urethral Cancer

Should I be worried about urethral cancer?
You should be worried about urethral cancer if you suffer from bladder cancer, recurring urinary tra...
How do I manage my urethral cancer on a daily basis?
Managing your urethral cancer on a daily basis means paying attention to any changed physical and em...
What is urethral cancer?
Urethral cancer is a type of cancer found in a person's urethra. This is the tube that urine travels...
What is the rate of incidence for urethral cancer?
Urethral cancer is extremely rare. Only about 600 people are diagnosed with this disease every year....