Why do I need to train all my muscles?

Muscles work in groups to move and stabilize our bodies. Our muscles consist of movers and stabilizers. Movers are the larger muscles, often called prime movers, that are called upon to move us. Stabilizers are generally smaller muscles, set deep into the spine and joints that help to stabilize them. Each group of muscles is important, as they must all work together to keep us moving.

Most resistance-training programs focus only on training the prime movers. While it is important to condition these muscles, we cannot neglect the smaller, stabilizing muscles that keep us strong internally. If these muscles aren't working as they should, our bodies can break down from the stress that we are putting on it. Consider this: training only the prime movers is like building a house on quicksand; you may begin to build a beautiful house, but pretty soon, the house will come tumbling down because the foundation is weak. When you begin your fitness program, it is important that you are first stable (i.e., that you have integrated training of the stabilizing muscles into your resistance-training plan), and then you can move to focusing on the prime movers.

Continue Learning about Types Of Exercise

Types Of Exercise

Types Of Exercise

Exercise provides many health benefits - from fitness to increased physical and mental energy. In order to prepare yourself for a exercise routine, you need to research which exercise is right for you and how to fit a new exercise ...

e program into your daily schedule.