Are fallopian tubes tied during tubal ligation?

While the term "tubal ligation" or "getting your tubes tied" are commonly used phrases, the more appropriate term is tubal interruption. That's because there is no actual "tying" involved in most techniques currently used to permanently block the road between the ovary and the uterus. In addition, the ways in which sterilization is performed today are radically different than in our mothers' day.

Continue Learning about Tubal Ligation

How can I become pregnant if I have had tubal ligation?
Penn MedicinePenn Medicine
If you have had tubal ligation but want to become pregnant, the two options available are in vitro f...
Did having my tubes tied steal my libido?
Barring any complications from surgery, tubal ligation should not diminish your sex drive. In this v...
What factors affect the success of a tubal ligation reversal surgery?
Brigham and Women's HospitalBrigham and Women's Hospital
The success of the surgical reconstruction of the fallopian tubes depends on how the tubes were ...
What is tubal ligation?
Marina JohnsonMarina Johnson
The euphemistic term “tying your tubes,” actually means the tubes are surgically and permanently sev...