How can trans fats affect my mood?

Dr. Peter Bongiorno, ND
Naturopathic Medicine
A recent Spanish study looked at more than 12,000 people. It revealed a 48% increase in rates of depression in people who had higher levels of trans fats in their blood. It seems these unhealthy fats can increase inflammation in the brain, creating unhealthy blood vessels and poor circulation in the brain -- both of which can contribute to mood problems. Since brain tissue is made mostly of fat, it makes sense that better-quality fat makes a better brain. In light of this research, the years of hydrogenated peanut butter and trans-fatty snack foods may be coming to a mood-lifting close.

Continue Learning about Trans Fats

Common Foods That Contain Hidden Trans Fats
Lost in Translation is a 2003 Sofia Coppola film about a once-was-movie-star (Bill Murray) who lost his twinkle—until he meets Charlotte (Scarlett Joh...
What foods contain trans fats?
Lucette Talamas, RDLucette Talamas, RD
Trans fats raise the amount of harmful low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol, while lowering the...
How does eating foods high in trans fat affect my risk of heart disease?
Toby SmithsonToby Smithson
Trans fats act like saturated fat in the body and tend to raise blood cholesterol levels. Saturated ...
Why Should I Avoid Trans Fats?
Why Should I Avoid Trans Fats?