What can I do to improve my fitness and conditioning for track?

Most track and field athletes get enough cardio conditioning during practice and require different methods to increase their stamina.  Conditioning and fitness can be improved in many ways including utilizing medicine ball drills and multi throw drills. Medicine ball drills have been around for over a hundred years, and they serve many purposes. They can be used to train every muscle in the body by holding the medicine balls in your hands, between your feet and legs, or throwing them back and forth various ways with a partner. There is an upper body plyometric effect when throwing the medicine balls back and forth due to the loading of the upper body throughout the entire range of motion. Multi throws are various types of shot put throws designed to train the body to explode simultaneously as in a block start or shot put throw.  Some example medicine ball conditioning drills are:  medicine ball chest pass, medicine ball rotational throw, medicine ball overhead throw, medicine ball lifts and chops.

Continue Learning about Track & Field

How can the proper use of periodization help track and field performance?
Periodization is the process of putting an athlete's or teams' season into (daily, weekly and mo...
What is a good race warm-up?
Pre-race trainer warm up: 20 minutes at an endurance pace. 10 minutes at a pace that is 70% of t...
Should I be running while training intensely for a meet?
Running or cardio should be kept very light or performed not at all. Weightlifting is very inten...
Should a track athlete train hard everyday or take regular rest days?
One of the most overlooked ways to improve performance and reduce injuries and burnout is regula...