How common is toxoplasmosis?

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, more than 60 million people in the United States carry the toxoplasma gondii parasite. Toxoplasmosis rarely shows any signs or symptoms in a healthy individual. Rather, those who suffer from a weakened immune system or are pregnant tend to be at risk for serious side effects. In rare cases, a person can contract the infection from an infected organ transplant or blood transfusion.

Continue Learning about Toxoplasmosis

Can toxoplasmosis be prevented?
There are several steps that can be taken to avoid toxoplasmosis.Make sure that your cat receives ad...
How is toxoplasmosis diagnosed?
Toxoplasmosis is usually diagnosed through a blood test in which a doctor looks for certain antibodi...
Is toxoplasmosis found only in the United States?
Toxoplasmosis is found all around the world wherever there are cats. According to Centers for Diseas...
How can I protect my children from toxoplasmosis?
You can protect your children from toxoplasmosis by being extra vigilant whenever they are around ca...