What is a tooth extraction for gum disease?

Gum disease(periodontal disease) can lead to the loss of teeth. Untreated periodontal disease causes the destruction of bone around the teeth. When enough bone is lost, the tooth becomes loose. The gum around the tooth may also become infected. When the periodontal disease has progressed to this point, the recommended treatment is a tooth extraction. 

Continue Learning about Tooth Extraction

What is the process for a simple extraction?
Partha Mukherji, DDSPartha Mukherji, DDS
The process may involve local anesthesia and removal by a dental forcep or sometimes just elevating ...
What should I expect after having a tooth extraction for gum disease?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
After the extraction, your dentist will advise you of what post extraction regimen to follow. In mos...
Should I avoid certain activities following a surgical tooth extraction?
After a surgical tooth extraction, you should avoid using a straw and avoid smoking so the blood clo...
Why are some cancer patients more at risk of tooth extractions?
Cancer patients who have existing dental conditions or poor oral health are most at risk for develop...